Sunday 6 April 2014

Love Your Walls - Art on a Budget

This is a bit of an early one for me - now that the sun is up bright and early these days, even on a day off after a full on week at work I still want to bound out of bed (OK maybe not bound, but perhaps flop and then slide slowly)  and get writing on all the ideas I usually have piling up in my brain, many of which basically consist of wanting to tell all you lot about the cool stuff that people are making out there.

Today what is on my mind is loving your own space - your home, your interiors, your walls.

As one of my favourite bloggers Abigail Ahern said recently in her post entitled Happy Homes '...when you create a connection with objects and buy stuff that you love it’s a no brainer that its going to make you happy...' and I totally believe Abigail's philosophy on this one. As an artist it is probably a given that I find aesthetics and tactile qualities important in general, but honestly I dont want to surround myself with things that lack integrity, a patina or a positive use. How will cheaply produced, badly designed stuff add to my sense of wellbeing when at home? I get much more pleasure out of even a tea towel  handmade by a designer than by a mass producing blob with some meaningless branding, right? Im not saying I get this right all the time, but its definitely what I strive for. 
And the thing is, that having cool, meaningful things all around you - whether we are talking found objects (vintage, antiques and so forth) or handmade by artists and designer-makers- is not out of anyones reach. I think I could discuss this point for several more posts, and can feel myself teetering on the edge of a tangent here, so I wont mention the umpteen junk shops and brickabrac sales where glory is to be found in exchange for some light rooting and a few pounds. Instead the main thing that I really wanted to point out and share with you today, is that there are some really amazing print designers out there who really have great work at such accessible price points- there's no excuse to keep staring at a plain magnolia wall anymore! I won't give you advice on how to hang your prints - head on over for advice from Abigail, she's the pro on that one. What I will tell you is to check out these good eggs below - it's really worth considering their work, even if it isn't really your cup of tea, but opens your eyes to what fantastic-ness is out there.

First up is Inaluxe, a creative Australian duo who have been doing fabulously well, including a recent collaboration with Ikea on a small range of brilliant affordable prints (not to mention their glorious new cushions with urban outfitters - grab these while you can, they are already selling like hot chips!)

I forget how I found their prints, probably on some internet adventure, but I absolutely intend to purchase a print of theirs very soon. Often inspired by nature, flora and seasons, with a riot of colour and forms, I don't think you can go wrong here. Take a look:

Inaluxe Print Flora, a personal favorite
Inaluxe - The Shipping News Print
Next on my list are the fantastic and perhaps understated Calm Gallery. Based in the UK and created by a young husband and wife team (very inspiring!) Lucas and Hayley - I don't know them personally but based on the high standard and swift success of their business they do seem rather like a young couple with some gumption. They have so many good pieces on their website, including work by fabulous artists such as James Brown and Helen Lang, that I don't feel I need to go on any more. Suffice it to say, they are great and I challenge you not to find the perfect gift to fit any budget amongst their range. A couple of my top picks below:

La Lune - could be yours for a mere £50!
One of many prints by James Brown - this might be the one for me!

Finally - although Im sure the list could just keep going on and on - I would like to make a shout out to Antlers Gallery, a nomadic and dynamic group with frequent pop up shops and an online store. Based in Bristol, I first saw one of their shows in nearby Stroud, and they seem to be going from strength to strength, featuring at this years London Art Fair and recently made it in The Guardians Top 10 best culture venues in Bristol. Their work is dark, conceptual and varied.
Follow them on Facebook and keep up to date with all of their upcoming shows so you can see them next time you pop up! I leave you with a couple of their images - the more you look the more you see:
Sarah Jeffs at Antlers - read all about Sarah's practice here
Rose Sanderson - Seriously love this piece, read an interview with Rose here






No comments:

Post a Comment