Monday 27 January 2014

A Mother Curtain Mission



Hello! I have several half-finished projects that have been hanging around the old abode that I want to finally take on, make some bold decisions about, and be able to ENJOY!
First up - Curtains. I have taken on the challenge of reworking a huge pair of very lovely but rather dull brown and yellow velvet curtains in to something far more exciting. I have spent too long puzzling over how to tackle this problem, until I asked myself 'Are you a textile artist or not?!' and decided to come at the milking cow from a different angle. Armed with a colour palette that will work within the pad, and aspiring to create something a little bit unexpected, I think I am ready to begin cutting. I will also be working with areas of the fabric which are already worn away and discoloured to enhance and make a feature out of them.



Im thinking triangles. After a breif bit of hunting on Pinterest I came up with these four beauties to use as a visual aid. Now, I know that usually when we think of patchwork we think of bedspreads and cushions galore, but what about patchwork curtains? But not flowery, cute cottage stuff - what about a mid-century / contemporary feel with block colours and mixed textures?

Im going to experiment with mixing the short pile brown and yellow velvet with a hot pink and a tangy yellow, with black and some natural linen to add a nice contrast of textures and shades.
These ideas often take me so long to actually realise because I deliberate about whether it will all be "too much" - but then I have to ask myself "well, what's wrong with that?!"



Sources of images used - all via Pinterest :

No comments:

Post a Comment