Thursday 25 July 2013

Paper Cuts

Since I landed back in London a few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to help out with a really exciting show: 'The Paper Architect' in Leytonstone in East London, by the hugely talented and very lovely couple Davy and Kristin McGuire.

image original source: Davy and Kristin McGuire website


This particular work tells a beautiful story of a man in solitude, with an exquisitely intricate 'set' of paper and projections. The story makes me think of longing, and of the big crazy dreams of a quiet lonely person. This particular show was in partnership with The Barbican and was quickly sold out- but there is so much more to see of these remarkable artists, if you are like me and and have only just 'discovered' them!


image original source: Davy and Kristin McGuire website

I was invited to assist with the hanging by Corinne Hockley of Studio Seven, who creates the most incredibly delicate and strange 'worlds', and who was in brought in to take charge of cladding the space with cardboard, which just increased the feeling on being in a wonderland, with characters, shadows, things both big and small. I ended up spending the day cutting stencils that were to be sprayed on to the cardboard walls, while the technicians were working quietly away- often in the dark (luckily I had my own source of light!)


image original source: Davy and Kristin McGuire website


Even though this show has ended you can still visit the window installation at Leytonstone Library. Also do take a look at their website which features the infamous Icebook work and tour info. I can't wait to hear what they've got coming up next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment