Sunday 23 March 2014

Goodness This Week - Tiles


Since returning to London I felt that everything I saw was getting filed away in my head, dilapidated Deco architecture, train stations, commuter style (running trainers with sharp tailored work suits!) subway tiles - my head was rather filling up! Enter - Instagram! Obvious to the masses, but not so to me, as I was contemplating carrying around my large SLR camera in an unlikely effort to quickly capture things I was seeing. Follow me on Instagram and keep up to date here

Something that has been catching my attention is the beautiful Victorian tiles that - once you begin to look for them - you see everywhere. Sadly there doesn't appear to be a wealth of knowledge readily available about where this fashion really originated from, however we all know the Victorian's penchant for over-decoration. Shades used for ceramics were largely dictated to by which raw materials were readily available to create pigments, which then direct the colour palette.  I leave you with a selection of tiles walked on during my recent travels.....



Marylebone
Islington - new posing as old
Cheltenham - The old court house


Soho


Wigmore Street

St Giles Street - seemingly old but what a colour palette and design!




No comments:

Post a Comment